You can apply for a Child Student Visa if you’re between 4 and 17 years old and you want to study at an independent school in the UK. The independent school must be one already approved by the UK Home Office as Sponsor for students. The new Child Student Visa has replaced the old Tier 4 (Child) student visa.

If you are aged 18 or over, then you are already passed the age for a Child Student Visa. However, if you still wish to further your studies in the UK, then you should apply for a Student Visa instead.  Also, if you are aged 16 or 17, you can choose between the Child Student Visa or the Student Visa. This is particularly if you want to study a Level 3 course or a course of study (https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean) above Level 3 in accordance to UK`s Regulated Qualifications Framework (https://www.gov.uk/find-a-regulated-qualification).


UK Visas & Immigrations have a set rules and requirements a Child Student Visa applicant must meet before the visa is granted. These are as follows:

  • You must be between 4 and 17 years old as at the time of your application;
  • Your school for study in the UK must be an independent school (https://www.ukindependentschoolsdirectory.co.uk/what-is-an-independent-school-ukisd/);
  • You must have an unconditional offer of a place on an approved course of study from an independent school, which is a licensed Child Student Sponsor;
  • Your Sponsor must have issued you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter, and this letter can only be used once;
  • You must have submitted your Student Visa application within 6 months of receiving the CAS from your Sponsor;
  • You must have enough fund to pay for your tuition, all costs associated with your course of study and to support yourself at least for on year, without relying on public funds;
  • You must be able to show prove of this fund in accordance to permitted terms and conditionality by the UK Visas & immigrations;
  • You must have a written consent of your parent(s) or legal guardian, and this consent must be written in accordance to the required format and content;


  • Child Student Visa requirements are generally the same, but circumstances may vary from one person to another, which may warrant specific requirements for some individuals. The supporting documents for satisfying the requirements are also relative. So, the exact requirements you will need to satisfy the UK Visas & immigration may differ in some cases, depending on your circumstances. 
  • To be sure of what you really need for your Child Student Visa application, you may need to seek professional advice from an immigration lawyer. In other to brighten your chances of success at first attempt, and reduce to chances of need for review/appeal, it is advisable you speak with in an immigration lawyer before you apply.


We have expert immigration lawyers who are well versed in UK immigration and nationality matters. Our lawyers constantly monitor the usually complex UK Home office rules and policies for Child Student Visa requirements and procedures. 

Our experienced immigration lawyers regularly assist Nigerian parents alongside clients from all over the world for successful Child Student Visa application. We also assist with extension of such visa once the students are already in the UK.

For parents who wish to join or stay with their children while studying in the UK, we also assist with the processes. Once our clients, we start and stay with the child student and their parents through their time, as they pursue their education in the UK.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our clients’ needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to child students as part of a professional and friendly service.


Extension of stay with Child Student Visa

Having arrived the UK and progressing with your educational pursuit, you may need to extend your stay after the expiration of your entry visa. We also assist with this extension once the student is already in the UK. The exact requirements for such extension will vary depending on your circumstances and your reason for extension.

Parents joining/staying with child student

For parents who wish to join or stay with their children while studying in the UK, we also assist with the processes. The UK Home Office Parent of a Child Student rules and policy allows one parent to come to or stay in the UK to care for their child (or children) where the child is studying at an independent fee-paying school under a Child Student Visa. For more details, please see Parent of a Child Student page.

Reviews and Appeals

There are many reasons why your visa applications may be refused by the UK Visas and Immigrations, especially when you fail to seek expert advice before your first attempt. Sometimes, denial could be on technical ground or done in error by a consular officer.

If your application for entry clearance or leave to remain in any circumstances at all has been refused, our expert immigration lawyers can advise on the merits of making a fresh application or challenging the decision.

If your application was refused by the consular officer as a result of failure to correctly apply the UK Immigration Rules or Home Office policy, then our immigration experts can bring Administrative Review proceedings to challenge the decision to refuse your application.

Also, if the refusal of your application is adjudged by our experts as a decision reached unlawfully, unreasonably or procedurally improper, then our immigration experts can bring an application for Judicial Review. We will also brief our barristers to represent you at Judicial Review hearings.

Our lawyers are committed to your needs

Our immigration experts are available to serve your needs. You can use our online free consultation tool to get free initial assessment of your Child Student Visa application or review. Where required, we can start working on the best solution for your matter right away.