You can apply for a Student Visa if you’re between up to 16 years old and you want to study at an independent school in the UK. The independent school must be one already approved by the UK Home Office as Sponsor for students. The new Student Visa has replaced the old Tier 4 (General) student visa.

If you are below 16 years old, then you are not up to the age for a Student Visa, you should instead apply for a Child Student Visa to study in the UK.  Also, if you are aged 16 or 17, you can choose between the Child Student Visa or the Student Visa. This is particularly if you want to study a Level 3 course or a course of study (https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean) above Level 3 in accordance to UK`s Regulated Qualifications Framework (https://www.gov.uk/find-a-regulated-qualification).


UK Visas & Immigrations have a set rules and requirements a Student Visa applicant must meet before the visa is granted. These are as follows:

  • You must be 16 years old as at the time of your application;
  • Your school for study in the UK must be a Licensed Student Sponsor(https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-of-licensed-sponsors-students);
  • You must have an unconditional offer of a place on an approved course of study from your Sponsor;
  • Your Sponsor must have issued you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter, and this letter can only be used once;
  • You must have submitted your Student Visa application within 6 months of receiving the CAS from your Sponsor;
  • You must have passed a qualified Use of English Test if your country is not on the list of excluded countries;
  • You must have enough fund to pay for your tuition, all costs associated with your course of study and to support yourself at least for on year, without relying on public funds;
  • You must be able to show prove of this fund in accordance to permitted terms and conditionality by the UK Visas & immigrations;
  • You must have a written consent of your parent(s) or legal guardian, and this consent must be written in accordance to the required format and content;


  • Student Visa requirements are generally the same, but circumstances may vary from one person to another, which may warrant specific requirements for some individuals. The supporting documents for satisfying the requirements are also relative. So, the exact requirements you will need to satisfy the UK Visas & immigration may differ in some cases, depending on your circumstances. 
  • To be sure of what you really need for your Student Visa application, you may need to seek professional advice from an immigration lawyer. In other to brighten your chances of success at first attempt, and reduce to chances of need for review/appeal, it is advisable you speak with in an immigration lawyer before you apply.


We have expert immigration lawyers who are well versed in UK immigration and nationality matters. Our lawyers constantly monitor the usually complex UK Home office rules and policies for Student Visa requirements and procedures. 

Our experienced immigration lawyers regularly assist Nigerian students alongside clients from all over the world for successful Child Student Visa application. We also assist with extension of such visa once the students are already in the UK.

For parents who wish to join or stay with their children while studying in the UK, we also assist with the processes. Once our clients, we start and stay with the student and their parents through their time, as they pursue their education in the UK.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our clients’ needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to students as part of a professional and friendly service.


Extension of stay with Student Visa

Having arrived the UK and progressing with your educational pursuit, you may need to extend your stay after the expiration of your entry visa. We also assist with this extension once the student is already in the UK. The exact requirements for such extension will vary depending on your circumstances and your reason for extension.

Settlement routes from Student Visa

Student Visa itself does not lead directly to settlement in the UK. However, it could create other opportunities for students who wish to settle in the UK after their studies. The processes that leads to this settlement may be started at any time even while your course of study is still in progress. Our expert immigration lawyers help with this processes.

Graduate Visa

The Graduate Visa allows international students who have completed an eligible UK degree to stay in the UK to work, or look for work, for two years (three years for those being awarded doctorates) after they have completed their studies.

The Graduate Visa does not lead directly to settlement, but graduates on the route are able to switch into other work-based routes which can lead to settlement. For more details, please see Graduate Visa page

Joining/staying with student

For parents of younger students who wish to join or stay with their children or for adult students who wish to relocate with family members while studying in the UK, we also assist with the processes. The UK Home Office Student Visa rules and policy allows even a whole family with requisite means to come to or stay in the UK while a family member is pursuing a course of study at UK school.

Reviews and Appeals

There are many reasons why your visa applications may be refused by the UK Visas and Immigrations, especially when you fail to seek expert advice before your first attempt. Sometimes, denial could be on technical ground or done in error by a consular officer.

If your application for entry clearance or leave to remain in any circumstances at all has been refused, our expert immigration lawyers can advise on the merits of making a fresh application or challenging the decision.

If your application was refused by the consular officer as a result of failure to correctly apply the UK Immigration Rules or Home Office policy, then our immigration experts can bring Administrative Review proceedings to challenge the decision to refuse your application.

Also, if the refusal of your application is adjudged by our experts as a decision reached unlawfully, unreasonably or procedurally improper, then our immigration experts can bring an application for Judicial Review. We will also brief our barristers to represent you at Judicial Review hearings.

Our lawyers are committed to your needs

Our immigration experts are available to serve your needs. You can use our online free consultation tool to get free initial assessment of your Child Student Visa application or review. Where required, we can start working on the best solution for your matter right away.